I am Maria. Here you will find an inside in my obsession with food planning and my endless search for recipes that are easy, quick,
delicious in the pursuit of putting a homemade meal on the table every day (or most days) while at the same time keeping a full time job, taking care of a seven year-old with increasing loads of homework and activities, keeping a consistent weekly workout routine, keeping the house clean and organized, the laundry done, maintaining a social life…(wooooo, I am exhausted already!). This is the dream people!
It all comes down to this: I am a planner. My life is pretty structured. I like it that way. When it comes to food, I like to have an idea what I am serving each night (even if I am alone). In all seriousness, what’s the first question we get the moment we walk through the door after a day of daytime activities: what’s for dinner? WHO LIKES THAT QUESTION??? How many times have you turned to eating out or ordering pizza because nothing in your fridge sounded appetizing? It’s a travesty. So every week at some point between Thursday and Sunday I sit down and Pinterest my way away into a weekly menu which then helps me put together my weekly grocery shopping list (lists are a side effect of planning-itis). I search my favorite food blogs, I look at my cookbooks, I dig back back in my brain for stuff to make. I also like variety. I get bored easily. I’ve been doing this menu planning thing for a while and I starting tossing the idea of blogging my attempts and success. I’ve been a chicken about it to be honest but here I am now. Finally. Welcome.
Let me tell you few things about me:
- I was born in Spain.
- Against all assumptions about Spanish people, I don’t do naps (unless I am SUPER tired).
- “Adri” is my nickname for my son Adrian
- “Con queso” means “with cheese” in Spanish.
- We both love cheese!
- I didn’t start cooking until I was a senior in college (don’t ask me how long ago that was).
- I don’t have training in cooking – my mom is a terrible teacher (I tell her all the time).
- My introduction to cooking was an issue to Cooking Light magazine back in 2000.
- I’ve maintained a subscription on and off ever since.
- I moved to the United States in 1996 to attend college.
- Since then, I have lived in Vincennes, IN, Gainesville, FL and Knoxville, TN (my current locale).
- I am a naturalized citizen.
- I love Mexican food, Indian, Italian, American…okay I love most food.
- BUT, I hate mashed potatoes. Don’t ever try to fool me!
- I like when spicy food is so good you eat it really fast because you think it will make the food less spicy.
- That doesn’t work and it usually makes me overeat. But it’s all good if the food is amazing.
- I have a 7 year old boy who lives with me half the time.
- He doesn’t always enjoy my attempts to put new foods into his Sponge Bob Square Pants plate.
- I keep trying.
- His favorite foods are pasta and cheeseburgers (the order of preference can vary).
- My daytime job is being GIS Analyst at Oak Ridge National Lab.
- I ran my first Half Marathon in 2013; the 4 Bridges Half Marathon in Chattanooga, TN.
- Somehow I want to keep running more.
- I love the beach.
- Chips are my weakness.
Enjoy my blog!