I decided last week that I was going to get some “me” time on Saturday and that “me” time was going to include lots of cooking and recipe testing. I was imagining an apron full of stains, forehead covered in sweat and flour, lots of dirty dishes and tons of delicious food at the end of the day. Then Saturday came along. Two loads of laundry, an entire house clean (including basement) and some yard work later and my cooking time was cut short. Oh did I mention that unexpected stop for frozen yogurt to catch up with an old workout buddy or how I went to buy MORE books? I mean I only read the first three Harry Potter books in one week; it’s not like I am a fast reader or anything…At the end of the day I didn’t get to test as many recipes as expected but I did try these corn fritters.
I am slightly scared of making food that looks small and detailed and complicated. Appetizers tend to follow those criteria. These corn fritters LOOK complicated (not sure why but they do okay!) but they are so easy it is embarrassing I have never made them before. They are also so good. This is a great starter or a small meal and they can be served by themselves or with a dipping sauce of your choice such as guacamole or yogurt-cucumber dip. I can now tell my therapist I am not scared anymore.
Corn FrittersMakes 12 fritters
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup milk
- 2 cups corn kernels
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 2 scallions
- salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Mix the flour and baking powder together is a mixing bowl. Gradually stir the beaten eggs and milk. Mix well until the batter is smooth.
- Stir in the corn, garlic, scallions, salt and pepper.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a largo non-stick frying pan until it is hot.
- Spoon in a tablespoon of the mixture for each fritter leaving space between the fritters so they don’t stick together. Pat each fritter a bit so they are flat. Fry until golden brown and then turn it over to brown the other side (about 2-3 minutes on each side).
- Sever immediately as-is or along your favorite dipping sauce.