Sometimes it is really hard to think about what to make for dinner. Those times I tell myself, “it is okay, I will ask Adrian what he wants and make that.” There are two possible answers to that question: 1) Pasta (and he says this in a cute Spanish-accent way) OR 2) Do you have the ingredients to make cheeseburgers? I don’t usually “have the ingredients to make cheeseburgers” but I ALWAYS have the ingredients to make pasta.
I love love Italian food. Always have. My mom has told me this story when I was about 5 years old we used to go to O’Mamma Mia in Fuengirola and I would roll my spaghetti using a fork and spoon to eat it. Have you ever tried to eat your spaghetti with fork and spoon? It takes skill. Apparently tourists would stop to watch this little brown-eyed girl eat her food. True story. Or motherly exaggeration.
Adrian could eat pasta just with tomato sauce all day long. That’s okay. Sometimes we do. But that’s boring. I like to add things to my pasta, and I also like to trick him into eating vegetables (insert evil laugh). AND I also like meatless dishes more often than not. This pasta with roasted vegetable recipe checks all those boxes. I don’t love turning my oven on during the summer but let’s face it, roasted vegetables are the best. I used a combination of zucchini, squash and tomatoes in this dish but you can sub for other vegetables such as eggplant. Always a summer favorite. Maybe Adrian did ask “are there meatballs in this thing?” last time I made this. Can’t always win.
Pasta with Roasted VegetablesSERVINGS: 4
- ½ lb spaghetti noodles, boiled according to package directions, drained and set aside
- 3 medium-sized zucchinis (or other summer squash), about 7 to 8 ounces each, cut into 1” dice
- 2 fresh Roma tomatoes, cut into 1” dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅓ cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ teaspoon salt (or less if tomato sauce has salt added)
- 1¼ teaspoon dried thyme (oregano works well too)
- 1 – 15 oz. can (or jar) plain, unseasoned organic tomato sauce
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a 13 X 9 casserole dish combine the zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic. Sprinkle over top the wine, olive oil and spices. Roast veggies until they are tender and brown, about 40 minutes, stirring once halfway through the cooking time.
- Pull the casserole dish out of the oven and stir the noodles and tomato sauce in with the veggies. Top with the Parmesan cheese and stick the casserole dish back in the oven until the cheese is melted, about 5 more minutes.