(Note: as I write this I realize it has been a WHOLE MONTH since I last talked to you. I am not gonna lie – I’ve been tired and busy and not in mood. I promise to make it up to you).
Something happened about a month ago. I walked into Target as many of us do sometimes “just to kill time and see what’s new” when I saw something; something every woman (and man?) dreads seeing…winter coats and jackets had been replaced by bikinis!!! (gasp) This can only mean one thing; summer is around the corner and one more year I have failed to meet my New Years resolutions of working out, eating healthy stuff and losing all the extra poundage and getting all toned and sexy. I am in denial at this point that months are flying by. So what did I do? I slapped myself around few times to wake up from stupidity, joined a boot camp class and swore to eat better at least Monday through Friday (and this glass of wine sitting next to me is not mine I promise; the neighbor left it there so I am just finishing it cause otherwise is a waste in my mind).
Enter healthy, yummy food. I actually came across this recipe of Cauliflower “Rice” Stir-Fry after last year’s New Years resolution and I never actually tried it. I’ve seen few bloggers making cauliflower “rice” and I was curious myself. This recipe from the Food Charlatan is on my list as well. Now don’t be fooled by the name. This doesn’t taste like rice at all; it just gets its name because the cauliflower is processed until it reaches rice-like consistency (before I go on, how cute is this plate with little bears in it? I got this as a gift when Adrian was born).
Since I am in “healthy eating mode” and all that I decided to make it tonight and I actually enjoyed it a lot. This is full of a good variety of veggies. You can add or replace ingredients as you want. I replaced the pumpkin seeds in the original recipe for sunflower seeds and omitted the red bell pepper. How about adding some sauteed zucchini and mushrooms instead of broccoli? I can (weirdly) say the red onion/cauliflower mix made the dish for me. Red onions is an underused ingredient in this house. This recipe makes two pretty good size servings (or one if you are really hungry; I mean this practically has negative calories). So grab your fork and eat eat eat! It’s guilt free I promise!
Cauliflower “Rice” Stir-Fry(Adapted from Whole Living) SERVINGS: 2
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 sliced red onion, divided
- 4 minced cloves garlic, divided
- Coarse salt
- 1/4 cup broth (your choice)
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp red crushed pepper
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 julienned large carrot
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 Tbsp sunflower seeds
- Pulse cauliflower florets in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 sliced red onion and 2 minced cloves garlic and cook, stirring, until tender, about 6 minutes. Add cauliflower and season with coarse salt. Stir in broth and steam, covered, until broth has evaporated and cauliflower is tender, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover.
- Wipe pan and heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Add 1/2 sliced red onion and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Add 2 minced cloves garlic, ginger, and red crushed pepper and cook 1 minute. Add broccoli florets, carrot, and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes. Season with salt. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.
- For each serving, top cauliflower with vegetables and sprinkle with sunflower seeds.